Sunday, December 4, 2011

My First Project

I am so excited to show you what I have worked on tonight. Now, let me first remind you that I am new to papercrafting and SCAL/eCAL, so by no means is it perfect.

I am sure that you have seen where people make coasters using 4in. x 4in. tiles covering them with Mod Podge and scrapbook paper. I did the same thing except I used photos. I am making these as Christmas gifts for our family. Can you say cheap??? Lets see, I paid 33 cents on the tile and 13 cents a photo. Can't beat that and you know the Grandparents are going to love them!!!

The part that I am excited about is I purchased a SVG file for a split monogram from Paper Pastime at the bargain price of $5.00 for the entire alphabet. I promise you, you will use this for Bridal Shower/Wedding gifts. It is elegant and gorgeous!

The amazing thing is I cut these monograms to fit a 3.75 in. x 3.75 in. Do you see how intricate the mongram is??? I can assure you I would not have been able to cut the vinyl using my Cricut. I believe it would have shredded the vinyl. The Sizzix Eclips did a great job!

Just in case you would like to make your own coasters, I will give you some quick directions.

What I used:

Agora Almond 4 inch tiles (I purchased mine from Lowes)
Photos
Mod Podge
Foam Brush
2X Painter's Touch 12 oz. Gloss Clear Spray Paint (purchased from Home Depot)

Wipe tiles clean from debris or dust and let dry.

Once your tiles have dried apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the tile and another thin layer on the back side of the picture. Place picture where you would like and set aside while you continue to do the rest of your tiles.

Once you have completed the tiles, apply another thin coat of Mod Podge over the picture. I wait so that the picture can set a little. Otherwise, it seems to shift.  Let them dry completely. I think I waited 24 hours.

Final step is to spray your tiles with the Gloss Clear Spray Paint, This will help protect the pictures. I ususally apply two coats.

I hope you enjoy this project and see how well the Sizzix Eclips did cutting the split monogram.





Don't you love them??? Easy peasy and inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment